Recommendation for ASD evaluation
Australian and New Zealand government agencies are able to submit a letter of recommendation for evaluation to ASD up to EAL2 where an ASD-approved Protection Profile does not exist for the relevant technology.
Step 1: Submit your evaluation request
Submit your evaluation request to ASD using this letter of recommendation for evaluation template (DOC). Product vendors should engage Australian or New Zealand government agencies for evaluation recommendations.
The letter of recommendation for evaluation serves three main purposes:
- It provides a letter of recommendation for ASD's record and tracking purposes.
- It enables ASD to communicate with the recommending government agency during the evaluation.
- It provides ASD with details on how the product is intended to be used so that ASD can ensure the scope of evaluation is appropriate for the product's intended use.
Product vendors are not limited to one letter of recommendation per evaluation, as additional recommendations can increase evaluation priority.
Step 2: Communication between ASD, the recommending agency and product vendor
ASD establishes contact with the recommending government agency and the product vendor to understand the evaluation aims. This step is essential to ensure all stakeholders are engaged and informed of the expectations and timeframes involved in an evaluation.
The letter of recommendation for evaluation is not:
- an automatic acceptance that the product will undergo ASD evaluation
- a contract or commitment by the agency – a recommendation can be withdrawn at any time by notifying ASD
- a financial commitment to purchase the product.
If you would like further clarification or guidance, please contact ASD. ASD will assist recommending government agencies who need clarification on how to answer the questions. ASD will also assist product developers in understanding the evaluation process and requirements.